Three-Alarm Fire Leaves Many Homeless
A fire at the Forest Hills apartments on Willow Creek in Southeast Austin has displaced 17 people, heavily damaging two units and causing extensive damage to four other units as officials determined the cause was an improperly discarded cigarette. One resident was taken to University Medical Center Brackenridge due to smoke inhalation, and a firefighter was hospitalized for heat exhaustion. Resident Phil Aronson rescued his cat Sammitch and carries him to safety after he was evacuated from his unit which was damaged in the fire. “I thought I was going to have a nice quiet evening with my girlfriend. Now I just have my cat and the shirt on my back. ” said Aronson.
Photo by Ralph Barrera